Jul 31, 2011

IT'S HOT!

July 22nd
It has been a while since I was last here and I apologize. I think the summer has run away with my sense of time. Either that or things are keeping me too busy to keep you all up to date. So since I am inside on this very hot Kansas day I better do what I need to, and write!
Over the past two weeks it has been a whirl wind of activities. We all have been busy at it; working in the fields, spraying fields, checking pastures, checking water in pastures, and haying.  Since the temperature has gotten to be a constant 100+ for the last week, this is what we call prairie hay weather. When doing our prairie hay, which is the native grass in Kansas, we can swath, rake, and bale all in the same day if we don't have any other fields to catch up from the day before.  If this hay is put up right  the cows love it during the winter months, but if it is a rougher and more coarse type of hay they tend to pick at it only eating what they want out of the round bale feeders.  Usually my Uncle Warren is in the swather, my father Mark in the baler, and cousin Nathan takes the raking along with sharing it with Grandpa at times, and me, well I get the privilege of moving the bales. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy it, but would you want to be outside in 100+ degree weather with no umbrella or cab on the tractor? Me neither, so most of the moving of the bales is stuck in the morning or the evening when it is a little cooler....a little. Prairie hay is one hay that we use to grind up for feed when the winter months come, we are hoping that this year we get just as much as last year but it isn't looking that way. With the summer rains not coming we are in a drought. This drought has also allowed those who have CRP, conservation reserve program, to cut some of that grass for feed since we are short on everything else.Side note for those who don't know what CRP is it is --The Conservation Reserve Program which reduces soil erosion, protects the Nation's ability to produce food and fiber, reduces sedimentation in streams and lakes, improves water quality, establishes wildlife habitat, and enhances forest and wetland resources. It encourages farmers to convert highly erodible cropland or other environmentally sensitive acreage to vegetative cover, such as tame or native grasses, wildlife plantings, trees, filterstrips, or riparian buffers. Farmers receive an annual rental payment for the term of the multi-year contract. Cost sharing is provided to establish the vegetative cover practices. IF you want to learn more see this website http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/crp/ . After we are through with the prairie hay we look to move onto cutting some CRP ground although it is a much different ground and hay than what we are use to.
July 30,
Things are progressing with the hay and it was now time to take a little vacation. We are proud to have a wedding pass this weekend, our cousin Darren Enns  married Corina Neufeld in Colorado. So all of the family is all off to a little time of vacation. I myself am currently in Croghan, New York for a wedding as well. On my trip I have been privileged enough to go to the big city, New York, New York. It is a whole different world in the city. I do have to say that this country girl will stick to it. I do like the country A LOT better!! The city is a very fast pace place. I was able to see the sights of empire state building, time square, central park, and from a distance the statue of liberty thanks to some great friends who make great tour guides.  All of these were great sights and the girls who were on the trip of a two days had a great time of refreshment.  I was so happy to be at one of my good friend's wedding but sad to miss my cousin's as well.  All of the time and new experiences were well worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment